Number of Positions: 1
About the Position:
The Payroll Supervisor is responsible for compiling payroll and benefit (“payroll”) information; managing the payroll preparation; processing payroll information; completing and submitting payroll reports; maintaining payroll records. The Payroll Supervisor is also responsible for overseeing and coordinating the activities of the payroll staff.
Reports to: Finance Manager
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Payroll & Financial Reports
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and year-end payroll statements and reports.
- Balances the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies.
- Operates computerized payroll systems; processes and balances payrolls in accordance to schedules.
- Processes payroll/benefit information for employees in accordance with appropriate scales, regulations, and authorized deductions. Determines benefit eligibility for employees.
- Calculates and maintains records for all salary placements and increments; calculates, prepares, reconciles payroll for payroll remittances; reconciles payroll deductions to general ledger accounts.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of monthly and annual reports from payroll data for unions, pensions and various government departments
- Assist the Finance team to reconcile all payroll accounts including remittance accounts and the payroll register as required
- Review and reconcile annual payroll accounts in preparation for the annual audit. Liaise with auditors as required.
- Assist and perform back up duties for other finance staff including general ledger entries, prepare monthly reports to program managers, assisting them in tracking expenses and analyzing.
- Prepare ad-hoc and analytical reports and summaries as required
- Service Delivery (customer service focus):
- Answers payroll/benefit related inquiries from employees, supervisors and outside agencies;
- Maintains and updates employee benefits information online for Benefit Carriers;
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Ensure compliance with federal and provincial regulations and guidelines
- Maintain payroll operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Ensures accurate calculation of wages, tax withholding, and company deductions.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
Leadership & Performance Management
- Accomplishes payroll objectives by hiring, training, developing and supervising payroll staff.
- Conduct regular and on-going evaluations of staff performance, and submit HR documentation in a timely manner.
- Oversees and co-ordinate the activities of the payroll staff.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification through Canadian Payroll Association required
- Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification is an asset
- Minimum of 5 years’ payroll and benefits administration experience in non-profit sector; unionized payroll experience required;
- Solid understanding of Comvida and Payworks
Job Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, clients, and stakeholders.
- Strong customer service skills for developing and maintain effective working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Advanced level in Excel and Word, and intermediate level in PowerPoint and other MS office programs.
- Ability to lead and develop a team, plan, organize, and manage workloads.
- Ability to work collaboratively and across disciplines for a common goal.
- Proven ability to aggregate and analyze information and data for effective problem solving, and utilizes sound judgement.
- Strong time management skills and ability to handle multiple demands and competing priorities
- Detail oriented, thorough and strong organizational skills.
- Protects employees’ personal information, payroll records, and payroll processes & systems.
- Holds and handles sensitive information confidential.
- Clear criminal record check required
S.U.C.C.E.S.S. embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply. Interested candidates please apply by emailing your application including the following e-mail subject line “Payroll Supervisor” by December 13, 2020 and submitting resumes to: [email protected]
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.